Persistent rainfall on Sunday afternoon forced Five Flags Speedway to postpone the Snowball Derby to Monday afternoon, with the race schedule to go green at 4pm CST (5pm EST).
It began raining early on Sunday and, despite multiple attempts to dry the track, the rain continued off and on all through the afternoon. When rain moved back in shortly before 5pm CST, Five Flags Speedway made the call to postpone the race.
“We gave it a valiant effort but unfortunately the weather did just not cooperate,” said Five Flags Speedway owner Tim Bryant. “Out of respect to the racers and the fans, when we saw this last line of rain come through, we decided to make the call because we knew even if it stopped raining it would take too long to prepare the race track.”
The postponement marks the second time in the last four years the Derby has been postponed. In 2016, the race was ultimately pushed back to a Tuesday night.
The 52nd Annual Snowball Derby will commence at 4pm local time and can be seen live, for those unable to make the race, on Speed51 TV.