The Snowflake 100 has been postponed to next week.
With persistent thunderstorms and localized flooding at Five Flags Speedway, track general manager Tim Bryant has opted to reschedule the Pro Late Model feature to next Saturday, December 8. That card will also feature the previously postponed Modiifeds of Mayhem championship race and the Pro Trucks feature.
The Snowball Derby Last Chance Race will now take place at Noon on Sunday before the regular scheduled festivities.
“We saw a couple of windows and wanted to take every opportunity that we could to make it happen,” Bryant said. “We wanted to avoid this if at all possible, but it just wasn’t in the cards and the last thing that we wanted was for people to be out here in unsafe conditions.
“We’ve had lightning in the area and we want to get people out of here, given the circumstances.”
Gates will open at 7 a.m. on Sunday and tire selection for teams begins at 7:30.
This is the first time that the Snowflake 100 has been completely postponed from its Saturday date. The Snowball Derby was postponed to Tuesday night in 2016 due to similar weather conditions.
Pit gates will open at 10 a.m. next Saturday, followed by a driver’s meeting at 11 a.m. Modified of Mayhem teams will get a 15-minute hot lap session at Noon, with Pro Trucks and Pro Late Models practicing afterwards.
Modifieds will open the race card for the evening, with Pro Late Models getting on track for a twilight start for the Snowflake 100.
The most common refrain from fans was to run the race on Monday, but Bryant said the forecast made that unlikely.
“The forecast right now for Monday is horrible,” Bryant told Short Track Scene over the phone. “Not to mention, so many of the guys in the other divisions have got to be to work on Monday. Those guys are weekend warriors, the majority of them.
“We hate this for anyone who has traveled a long way for these races, but when you combine the bad forecast with the fact that most of them can’t race on Monday anyway, that was the reason for our decision.”
Should rain persist into Sunday, Monday night at 5 p.m. remains the rain date for the Snowball Derby.
“If we have weather tomorrow, we’ll run the Snowball Derby on Monday, if possible,” Bryant said.